Booze News: AFI's 10 Top 10

>> Sunday, May 25, 2008

Film fanatics, mark your calendars! The American Film Institute’s annual “100 Years...” special will air Tuesday, June 17th from 8-11 PM ET on CBS.

After the Academy Awards, the AFI’s special is the television event I most look forward to each year. This time around, the producers have changed up the show a bit. Instead of 100 films related to a single genre, they will feature the AFI's 10 TOP 10 – the top ten films in ten different genres: animation, fantasy, science fiction, gangster, western, sports, romantic comedy, courtroom drama, mystery, and epic films. Each of the 10 film genres will feature a different host, and the films in each list will be selected by over 1500 leaders in the film community.

What? No “soused cinema” top ten?!! Well, at least alcohol spills over onto all of the above genres.

If you register at the AFI’s website, you can check out all of the past AFI lists and download the ballot for this year’s show: http://connect.afi.com/site/PageServer?pagename=100YearsList

If I was voting within the top ten categories, the following would be my #1 picks. What are your choices?

Animation -- Pinocchio (1940)

Fantasy -- Babe (1995)

Science Fiction -- 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

Gangster -- Miller’s Crossing (1990)

Western -- The Wild Bunch (1969)

Sports -- Horse Feathers (1932)

Romantic Comedy -- The Miracle of Morgan’s Creek (1944; Not only the funniest romantic comedy--My personal favorite film!)

Courtroom Drama -- Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

Mystery -- Chinatown (1974)

Epic -- Lawrence of Arabia (1962; Not really an American film, but the AFI includes it on their ballot; so I’ll include it as well. Besides, it’s about the only epic that isn’t yawn-inducing.)

The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (DVD)

3 comments:

Froog June 12, 2008 at 8:05 PM  

My choices:


Animation - The Lady & The Tramp

Fantasy - Brazil

Science Fiction - BladeRunner

Gangster - The Godfather

Western - Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid

Sports - Sea Biscuit (a tough category, this; I recently saw a basketball film called Glory Road which would also be a strong contender)

Romantic Comedy - Ninotchka

Courtroom Drama - Inherit The Wind

Mystery - Strangers On A Train (although I'd probably take the original Dutch version of The Vanishing in preference even to this, if we weren't confined to 'American' choices)

Epic - Spartacus (in fact, I probably concur with Boozemovies' nomination of , but I'm trying to be different here....)

garv June 12, 2008 at 9:34 PM  

All good choices. I especially like the selection of PAT GARRETT. There are days that I like it better than THE WILD BUNCH. One of these days, I'll have to get around to reviewing a few Peckinpah films. I think THE WILD BUNCH, PAT GARRETT, and ALFREDO GARCIA all deserve "Booze Movie" status.

On a side note, if non-American films were allowed, some of my choices would have been different. My very favorite Western is ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST, and my favorite animated film is SPIRITED AWAY.

Froog June 13, 2008 at 2:27 AM  

Amongst the "Spaghetti" Westerns, For A Few Dollars More is my absolute favourite.

I'm wondering what a British Top 10 would look like.

I'm also thinking to a 'Top 10 Genres Omitted From This Top 10'....

468X60 RENTAL - James Stewart Animated Gif (44kb)

About Me

My photo
I like to drink. I like to watch movies. I like to watch movies about drinking. I like to write about the movies I’ve watched, but only if I’ve had a drink first.

All text including the title "Booze Movies: The 100 Proof Film Guide" Copyright William T. Garver

  © Blogger templates Romantico by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP